Thursday, September 6, 2018

Mantra Mantra Mantra


"Good and bad, happy and sad, are all in the mind.  The mind can be enslaved, totally trained like an elephant. It's a big huge thing. But with mantra, your mind works for you.~ Yogi Bhajan
 
Mantras - they are a part of life. They are the words and phrases we  say over and over to ourselves. They are the scriptures and hymns we say and sing often. They are the  quotes and encouragement we utter when  someone, or we ourselves, are struggling. They are words that teach, calm, and enlighten us.  They are everywhere and they are powerful.  Some of my favorite mantras in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints  are:  "I am  a CHILD OF GOD!" "We are daughters of our Heavenly Father who loves us, and we love Him." "Families Can Be Together FOREVER!"  "I know Heavenly Father loves me!" "Choose the  Right."
Mantras are everywhere sports, music, church, school, gym, the  store, and in the media.  Sorting out the right mantras and letting the negative ones go takes practice.  Yes, we have many negative mantras that run through our heads too. "I am a failure." "It doesn't matter, no one cares anyway." "Im so fat, ugly, old, wrinkled, flabby, shabby, messy, sleep deprived or weak." " No one appreciates me." "I have no support, I feel all  alone." "I am never going to be good enough." "I am a bad ___" Fill in the blank there mom, spouse, friend.  Any of those sound familiar? 
The cool thing about positive mantras used when chanting, or in connection with meditation is that they help us  rewire our brain to think the positive stuff in difficult situations, instead of defaulting to the negative thoughts.  
So did you know  that  there are eighty-four meridian points, aka pressure points, in the upper pallet also know as the  roof of the mouth?! Every time you speak, you stimulate these meridian points and there by  stimulate  their associated glands and organs—with your tongue. And every time you chant a mantra, you are stimulating a particular set of meridian points, the rhythm, and duration of the chant initiates a chemical reaction produced in the brain.  The  brain carries that chemical change into the body. Thus changing our state of mind and being.   This is key when chanting mantras mindfully. We want this change, this rewiring of the mind  will help us be at peace, feel more positive, and be in a mindful state where we can make conscious changes to our way of thinking and being.
 Mantra chanting isn't easy for everyone. Some people  can feel  uncomfortable  or weird-ed out by saying the same  words over and over again in a yoga or meditation setting.  Yet, mantras are all around us and we dont think twice about using them in other situations.   You don't even blink when you see someone  rushing  by saying  "Im  late!  Im late!  Im late!"  Or the teen or 4 year old that tells you every 2 min " I am so hungry!"  They are mantras- not always good ones, but mantras  none the less.   If you find you are one of those people who have a hard time with mantras- or you  are trying to explain your love for them  to someone who is new to mantras,  here are a few tips and ideas.
 
You can take it or leave it - they are just things that helped me.
Image result for famous sports mantras* Mantras are used as a way to focus the mind-  All sports have mantas. The coach will teach  a phrase to the learner to repeat over and over as they are learning their sport.  "Keep my eye on the ball.""I can do this." "There is no try." "I am speed." "Visualize the ball going into the net."  They are all mantras  designed to help the learner concentrate, focus, and be positive. 

* Mantras are also used as a way to redirect the mind- Having a mantra on my mind helps me stay positive.  Instead of doing my daily morning grooming routine constantly thinking about all the things wrong with my appearance, I replaced those running negative thoughts  with the mantra " I am the light of my soul- I am Beautiful, I am bountiful , I am bliss!"  I did it enough that I believe it, and don't look in the mirror and see my flaws any more, instead I see my body as a blessing.  THIS WAS A BIG SCORE FOR ME!  It was mantra that did it- not a specific  meditation, just a new set of  TRUE words  to play in my mind during a time that I  was most prone to  self criticism and  self degradation.  LINK to one of many music tracks for I am the Light of my soul
 
* A quote  about mantras helped me be more at ease with  them.  "Be gentle and easy on yourself as you are beginning.  (Mantra) is a form of yoga after all, and when you are just starting yoga, you can’t expect your body to twist into a pretzel shape right away!  Slow and steady progress is made through commitment and self-nurturing.   The more you do it, the more you shine."
 
But Why "Chant" the mantra?  Isn't once enough? You may say something like mantras are great, I just don't like  the saying it over and over part. Its the Chanting that turns me off. Why do you have to chant? You can not hide feelings when you chant. There are days  where you chant  Sat Nam- meaning "Truth is my identity" and you just don't feel it!  You know something is not right when you are not feeling it, and it is not enjoyable. These feelings are an indicator that something is off.  You then can ask yourself where are you not being true to yourself, to God, or Others?  The feelings and emotions that come after chanting a few min stir your soul to change for the better, and  direct your thoughts to a safe non-judgemental space, where you can address and process those feelings. Chanting mantras can also stir great feelings of  gratitude, peace and joy.
Chanting  "God and me, me and God are ONE" and really feeling it is true can bring the same feelings that come with bearing testimony!  Even if there is no one to hear your  testimony, when you speak truth over and over and believe it - you FEEL it, and it lifts your spirit. Chanting it over and over also helps create new neural pathways so our thoughts and words will be positive. Chanting helps us act and not react.  LINK to God and me, Me and God are one
* Understanding the meaning of mantras makes them  more powerful.  For example,  one can chant the Mantra: Aap Sahaee Hoa or the complete Mantra is " Aap Sahaaee Hoaa, Sachay Daa Sachaa Doaa, Har, Har, Har" But it is the translation that makes it meaningful to me.  Here it is in English, "You, Divine One, have become my refuge. True is Your support, Great Creative Infinite." But WHY do I chant in Sanskrit or Gurmukhi instead of English? People who learn to speak different languages will often find a song or a phrase they love in that language. Do they sing that song or use that saying in their everyday life in English?  NOPE! They don't, they use the phrase or sing the song in their new  acquired language.  But WHY? Im not sure I have the answer for that. But I can say that  once you chant a mantra enough the concepts, the translation, and the feel of the mantra  resonate deeply regardless of the fact that it is not your native tongue.  Also remember those  meridian points we talked about?   The language we are  using helps us hit the right points in the right order that produce the changes we want. English translations  wont be as effective at hitting those same points because the sound current will be different when using English words.   Here is a  LINK to  a mantrapidea  that has mantras meanings, lyrics, translation and pronunciation guide, and sometimes meditations that are connected to a certain mantra.  Understanding the mantra is  a good way to appreciate it and feel more comfortable chanting it. 

* We chant mantras all the time but  they are usually negative ones "I'm late- I don't have enough time!" "I can't do that."  "This is so hard." "I hate my body."  "I am so busy!"  "I am so tired!"  "I am not enough."  "I am stupid- or that was stupid of  me. " " You are all driving me crazy!"  And on, and on, and on.  These are things that most people say and think over and over  every day. Chanting positive mantras for  a few min each day  can help us keep that positive mental attitude through out the day.  The time spent chanting  helps us be positive  when we start to think or say, "Ahhhh!  I don't have enough time!" Because we have spent time developing  new neural pathways we catch ourselves in that moment and can say " No, that is a lie, a trap and tactic of Satan to try and help me feel stressed. The truth is, I always have enough time for the things that are important. God  can help me order my life so that everything fits that SHOULD be in my day. " This redirection of the mind happens so easily and freely if we have spent time chanting  the good things.  Just like the coach  will redirect the language of a struggling teammate when they say "I can't do it, its  too hard."   Your mind comes forward with encouragement and a positive mantra to replace the negative thoughts. Some good news is, it just gets easier and easier with practice.
 
 * Chanting  mantras is like  singing!  Kids DO IT ALL THE TIME!!!!!  They take a phrase or a part of a song and they will sing that  part over, and over, and over, and over! They usually don't sing the  whole song.  Why?  Because they are chanting- They pick a phrase or two and chant it.  Most Kundaini Mantras are set  to a tune.  You don't have to call it "chanting" you can call it singing!  When I am teaching a child how to meditate I dont  use the word chant- I say " OK,  here is the part where we sing from our hearts- I am Happy! I am Good!" LINK  or " Be Still and Know That I Am."  LINK

I hope that these points or suggestions  will help you be more comfortable about using mantras. But like most things  it really takes trying it  before you  Understand it.

Most people have tried the sports mantras and they "Get" that, now its  just taking mantras to the next  step. Instead of  " keeping your eye on the ball"  or  "visualize the goal post" , we are  keeping our eyes on the eternal perspective, and visualizing ourselves the way God sees us, so  we can reach the ultimate goal of being with  Him and being as He is.

Other reading
Mantras in the Scriptures 

No comments:

Post a Comment